Thursday, March 22, 2012

Alphaboxes - Spring Poetry

We used Alphaboxes today to organize our thoughts on a topic.  (Used 2 lessons from Linda Hoyt's Crafting Non-Fiction book.)  We brainstormed rain as a class. (It has been raining here for four days!) Here's what we came up with.


Then we picked our favorites to create a list poem. 

Rain

Ugly looking clouds
Smells like dirt
Splashing in puddles
Makes me sleepy
ZZZzzzzzz.....

Lickety split, the kiddos were all excited to write.  We gathered up our clipboards (there was a break in the rain) and went outside to experience Spring first hand!  Kids had 15 minutes to fill out there individual Alphaboxes.  Then we headed indoors, clouds were looming, to make our list poems.  The poems turned out amazing!!! I meant to grab the poems so I could upload a few examples, alas, I left them on my desk.  (I'll have to add them tomorrow.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, I just found you through the Linky party:) Welcome to blogland. I am a newbie too, and an avid surfer (Lovin' Your background pic!) I just nominated you for a Top Ten Award. Please stop by and check it out.
    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corinna! I love the award. It was to kind!! I am loving the new blogging aspect of my life.

      Delete
  2. I love alphaboxes! I cannot wait to read more of their poems!

    Come visit me when you get the chance!

    Watson is adorable. Come see my bunny and kitty...I love my fur babies! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather - What a delight to hear from you! I love your site. Thank you for all your supprt!

      Delete